November 7, 2019
Dear Valley Stream District 30 Families and School Community:
Our annual Superintendent’s Conference Day was held this week to support the professional development of our staff. Our investment in education includes maintaining ongoing professional development for all staff to support the teaching and learning of our students. Our District is responsive to changes in State Standards, new educational initiatives and mandates. Ms. Jennifer Lewner, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, and the Professional Development Planning Committee, developed a day of professional learning that was comprehensive in content and diverse in topics. The following is an overview of the day’s workshops:
- Differentiation Strategies to Support All
- “What Does Balanced Literacy Look Like in Your Classroom”?
- RtI: How to utilize the resources you have to support students’ individual needs
- Reaching the 100%: Creating a Strong Classroom Culture for Setting and Maintaining High Expectations
- Strategies for Organizing Components of Math Expressions into Digital Presentations
- K-3: Introduction to Reading Conferences
- An Introduction to Math Running Records
- Incorporating Mindful Meditation into SEL Practices
- Revisiting Guided Reading: Utilizing Journeys Leveled Readers
- Best Practices to Develop SIFE and SLIFE Learners
- How to Navigate Your Device and Stay Safe
- SMART Notebook Software 101
- DBT Skills for Emotional Problem-Solving
Special area teachers and staff also had the opportunity to attend varied out-of-District workshops on Tuesday. I thank all of our facilitators for their leadership in the area of professional development that contributed to a very positive learning experience.
Please note that the re-registration process for all third-grade students will begin prior to our winter break and continue through early spring. This is a required process to ensure we have updated residency information for our families and to support the goal of educating only legal residents of the Valley Stream 30 community. Your support and cooperation will be greatly appreciated.
Our school psychologists will be facilitating an array of activities from November 12th through November 15th for School Psychology Awareness Week. The week of November 18th is American Education Week and activities will be scheduled for our parents to visit our schools. Our annual Taste of a Service is also scheduled for Thursday, November 21, 2019.
It is not too late to join the PTA. Your membership helps to enrich programming and strengthens the partnership between home and school.
Enjoy the upcoming weekend and, remember, school will be closed for students on Veterans’ Day, Monday, November 11th. This is a perfect time to reflect on the outstanding service given to us by the brave women and men of the armed services.
Nicholas A. Stirling, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools