September 20, 2017
Dear Valley Stream District 30 Families and School Community:
We are “The Friendly Schools”, achieving and providing the solid foundation that is needed to make our students college and career ready. We must stay committed to maintaining high expectations for our students, as well as nurturing the talents of our most precious resource.
Our Board of Education has, once again, reviewed our Strategic Plan and has developed the following Board Goals for the 2017-18 school year:
To support teaching and learning through the development of a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum that addresses the needs of all students
- Continued implementation of the District Strategic Plan, as it pertains to Curriculum
- Review updates and/or reports to the Board on the following:
- Response to Intervention (RTI) implementation
- World Language integration
- Maker Space integration
- Further development of opportunities for student competitions
- Arts in Education implementation
- Technology integration
- PERSONNEL/HUMAN RESOURCES
To provide oversight and guidance in support of managing all personnel within areas of performance, professional practice, recruitment/retention, accountability, and professional development
- Review and approve Professional Development/Mentor Plan
- Review and approve all tenure and gate recommendations
- FINANCE AND OPERATIONS
To fully support our educational programs through strong financial oversight, collaborative budgeting and fiscal planning and thorough management of school facilities
- Continued implementation of the District Strategic Plan as it pertains to Capital
- Monitor and implement procedures to assist in the addition of classrooms at Shaw Avenue School
- Monitor and communicate legal and financial implications related to PILOTs and tax certioraris
- COMMUNICATION AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
To communicate effectively with all constituencies to promote involvement and support of our schools and district
- Continued implementation of the District Strategic Plan, as it pertains to Communication
- Increase electronic communications to Valley Stream 30 residents
- Review and/or redesign Community Budget Forum format
Our first district-wide Parent University will take place next week, Thursday, September 28, 2017 at the Shaw Avenue School at 6:00 p.m. Please mark your calendars to attend, as this will be an informative and engaging evening of workshops to support students and parents (please review flyers sent home).
This week the Board of Education also approved the appointment of Natasha Moore as the new Shaw Avenue Nurse. We thank Nurse Tricia Bailey, for her service to the District.
Schools will be closed tomorrow (9/21) and Friday (9/22) in observance of Rosh Hashanah. A happy new year to all who are celebrating the new year.
Thank you, again, for your ongoing support. Remember to join the PTA.
Nicholas A. Stirling, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools